Thursday, January 24, 2013

chocolate-espresso crinkles


      I have a hoarding problem.
      With recipes, that is.
      I use an app called Springpad to bookmark recipes: ones that use ingredients we often have; ones I find mildly intriguing; and most importantly, ones I feel are "classics", the kind that I think every cook should have in his or her repertoire. Even as a teenager who isn't even the main meal-maker in the house, I have recipes saved for rack of lamb, meatballs, lemon gnocchi, multiple tomato sauces, lasagna, cassoulet.
      When will I ever even use these? I don't know. When I am in charge of making something for the family, I often scramble for a new recipe rather than one I already have saved. I guess it's just an obsession I have, the need to be well-rounded and versatile in all things, and to not limit myself to the world of baked goods.


      These cookies were adapted from a recipe I had saved and come back to. I've never tried chocolate crinkles, only seen them on the Internet as I had with countless other foods. They're the kind of cookie you find arranged on a platter at the reception after a youth symphony concert, or the kind at a Christmas party. Wholly middle-class, wholly nostalgic, wholly suburbia. Yet they, I imagine, would be perfectly at home at a fancy tea party, among the petits fours. Or maybe they are the kind that are stealthily swiped from the kitchen counter, to be enjoyed with a mug of coffee. They are rustic, with their uneven, cracked shells, but sophisticated for the same reason.With a generous helping of coffee in each cookie, they are fudgy and rich, and satisfying on a deep level.
      I hope you enjoy these cookies. The people I baked these for certainly did!

Chocolate-Espresso Crinkles
adapted from Betty Crocker
makes about 3 dozen

Ingredients
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 oz unsweetened baking chocolate, melted, cooled
1 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp instant coffee (I used one packet of Starbucks VIA)
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup powdered sugar

Directions
  1. In large bowl, mix oil, chocolate, granulated sugar, vanilla, and instant coffee. Stir in eggs, one at a time. Stir in flour, baking powder and salt. Cover; refrigerate at least 3 hours.
  2. Heat oven to 350°F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
  3. Drop dough by teaspoonfuls into powdered sugar; roll around to coat and shape into balls. Place about 2 inches apart on cookie sheets.
  4. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until almost no imprint remains when touched lightly in center. Immediately remove from cookie sheets to cooling racks.

No comments:

Post a Comment